GuidePedia

1
Have you ever been so busy, so overwhelmed that you can't think straight?

That's where I am and have been for months.
I have struggled with writing of late, not that there haven't been many a topic that caught my eye, upset me or affected this community of riders.

I sit down at my computer, determined to write and the words just don't come and when they do they are such a mish mash of thoughts that even I can't really follow them.  So I shut down the blogger platform and go to work on one of the hundreds of  other tasks that are pulling at me.

Some of what's been going on with me is that I am tired.

Tired of politics, tired of hatred, strife, sadness, injustice. I have been focusing on the positives and I sure don't find a whole lot positive in the news. Facebook isn't much of a help either unless of course it's funny animal videos. I have been attempting to look forward, to happier times, imagining myself at some of the rallies I want to go to, the time I will get to spend with friends and the places I want to ride and experience. I have been looking for all of the good things to celebrate like sunshine, and spring, riding and loved ones...

Over the last few weeks there have been so many sad, hurtful, desperate situations....
We lost an RCMP Officer on Vancouver Island last week, a tragic and senseless loss.
We have already had numerous motorcycle crashes and fatalities.
Flo Fuhr from the Conga For Breast Cancer died suddenly while in Mexico.
Friends with cancer, heart disease and other critical illnesses that all need help.
Friends loosing their jobs and their sense of purpose.
Attawapiskat First Nation peoples attempting suicide by the hundreds, protests and sit ins taking place.
Bombings in Europe.
The leaders of our nations around the world seem hell bent on destroying it, so do groups like ISIL et al.

My heart and my psyche are aching.

It's hard being a "Journalist" who champions the under dog and takes on controversial topics when you are in the kind of mood I am in - I just really don't want to hear, see or read negative, hurtful or hateful things.  I don't want to be party to adding more of the same into the universe.

It's lead to writers block.

Then I came across something that got my dander up, something so ridiculous and so potentially devastating for our community that I had to speak out:

Westboro Baptist Church intends to protest at Motorcycle Rallies.


According to the article, Westboro Baptist Church spokesperson Lisa Greer is attributed with saying:
“these (motorcycle rallies) are a haven for inappropriate sexual activity and rampant drug use.” Greer explained to Kansas ABC affiliate  reporter Dan Walters, “Several motorcycle clubs across the country support the American soldiers and veterans who blindly fought overseas to provide homosexuals with the right to openly and legally commit sins against Jesus Christ – our mission is to educate.”

According to Greer, the Westboro Baptist Church has already made arrangements to attend the following motorcycle rallies – Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, Rolling Thunder, Bikes Blues and BBQ, Love Ride, Laconia Motorcycle Week, Indiana Boogie, Laughlin River Run, Mrytle Beach Bike Week, and the Redwood Run. Greer told reporters that contingent upon budgetary allotments, the organization may also attend additional rallies throughout the year. End Quote

What is wrong with people?

I know that you have free speech but seriously there are times when just because you can say it doesn't mean it should be said.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

What in heaven's name are these protestors, these so called "religious" people thinking?
How many soldiers funerals have they protested at? How many lives has their venom touched?

And what will the reaction be from the motorcycle community?

These people are doing to our community what so many reporters, police officers, politicians and naive riders do to our community - they are tarring us with a brush that is not ours to wear. They are profiling us, judging us, finding us guilty of a perceived "sin".

I pray that my brothers and sisters who decide to attend these events ignore Westboro - don't feed them any anger, hate, hurt or other emotion. Don't give them any power or ammunition or PRESS by reacting to them.

IGNORE THEM - PLEASE for the sake of everyone in our community - IGNORE THEM.

WE DON'T NEED anymore bad press.  We don't need lives destroyed over narrow minded, bigoted people. DO NOT GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT. ATTENTION.

I need some time on Doc and soon, riding always soothes my soul and allows my thoughts to settle down. I am looking forward to riding with Eric Lobo and doing an interview with him. Hopefully that will happen sooner than later!

Canada's MOST Rider Friendly Community Contest, presented by Community Futures of Alberta, is almost at it's end and we find out the official word on April 21st about which community is is going to be crowned "Canada's MOST Rider Friendly Community of 2015 - Two Hills Alberta or Moncton New Brunswick... Please check out all of the wonderful sponsors that are making Canada's MOST Rider Friendly Community Contest a reality and give them some LOVE!
Visit www.riderfriendlycontest.ca

My Beaver Mascot - Road Trip Rita is holding a contest called Beaver Shots.
So, what are Beaver Shots you ask? Surely Rita couldn't be suggesting anything inappropriate could she?

NO, calm down...here's what she's looking for...

If you take the time to stop, snap a picture and share it with Road Trip Rita, you could earn yourself a GAS CARD!

Visit: www.beltdrivebetty.com/BeaverShots  - to enter your photo....you must be a registered member of www.beltdrivebetty.com to enter - but hey, it's free to be a member.  Apparently our contest link is broken - we'll have it fixed shortly!

Until next time, please, dress for the slide and not the ride, ride like everyone around you is blind and cannot see you and brush up on those skills...let's have a safer rider season that what it's started out as.

Belt Drive Betty
Editor & Rider







Post a Comment

  1. Sometimes you just need to sit and breathe and ignore everything that's going on in the world and just listen to yourself breathing. Ignore everything else and eat a peanut butter sandwich. (That last one isn't actually recommended by doctors but sometimes, for me, it feels so good).
    Chris E.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top